Friday, May 15, 2009

Feature Friday!!!

Our first Feature Friday blog interview with the AMAZINGLY Talented owner and designer of JMJ Creations! Karen is just an awesome person and a big contributer to unique women in business! She has been in the group just about since we started, and I dont know what I would do without her! Enjoy her fabulous interview!


Name ~ My name is Karen J Terry and I am happily married to the Maestro Winfred C. McDuffie for the past 16 years.


Age ~ I was born December 22, 1950, which would make me the ripe young age of 58


Location ~ I was born in Cleveland, Ohio and lived most of my life in the Cleveland suburb of Brook Park. I now reside in Oroville, California, which is approximately a 2 hour drive North of Sacramento. I moved here in December of 2003 to care for my aging parents who are in their Golden Years, both being at the age of 84.


Shop Name ~ I started out as Jean Marie’s Jewels, which still exists, and recently added a sister company called JMJ Creations

Where does the name of your shop come from ~ Since I bead every Saturday with my parents, I was inspired to use my Mother’s name (Mary) and my middle name (Jean) and came up with Jean Marie’s Jewels. Initially I wanted a faith based business and interestingly enough when I shortened the name to JMJ Creations, I realized that the initials were that of, Jesus, Mary and Joseph. The new title is a constant reminder that my Faith is the strength for which I can do anything, and gives me the inspiration to persevere. The Salvation Bracelet was the very first item we started creating and has become our best seller.


How long have you been creating and what do you create mostly ~ I have been an artist/designer for the past 30 years. I don’t think there is a medium that I haven’t dabbled in. As far as jewelry designing and creating, I have been seriously selling since 2005. I generally create items that are one of a kind, and recently have included a few collections that can easily be reproduced, i.e. Finger Flowers, Nature-ally Chic, Diva Drops, and Fashion Funk to name a few.


Workspace, tell us a little about where you create ~ Well…..My creating areas are crazy! I have a designated area at my parents for the weekends and for during the week, I have a spare room that is converted into a studio that I share with my musician husband. The ongoing battle with my parents is that they create in such a neat and tidy fashion and I on the other hand have to have my beads and supplies in a pile in front of me. I find myself repeating to them every week the theory of how a true artist finds creativity. LOL! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! LOL!

Any advice you want to give to anyone starting a business ~ Pursue your dreams! It requires a whole lot of dedication and hard, hard work! Nothing in life can be attained without it. Many times, through your endeavors, you will find yourself making a difference in people’s lives; people that you probably would have otherwise never met. The end reward is personal satisfaction. Also, remember, that you will more than likely deal with jealousy and resentment. Don’t let people discourage you….You have a goal, keep it in focus!

Some fun facts about yourself ~ Fun facts? Let me see….I am a huge Cleveland Browns fan! And absolutely adore King James and the Cleveland Cavaliers! GO CAVS!!!!! Since my husband is a Conductor/Music Director for the local community theater group, I have found myself getting more and more involved in that venue. I have 3 grown boys. Ironically, my oldest son is very well known on the East Coast for his crazy “head banging” music….I say ironically, since I was the gal growing up who was going to enter the Convent to become a Nun. For instance, his first group was called ATW. Unbeknownst to me that meant “Allergic to Whores”. LOL! What’s a Mother to do!!! My children are and always will be the loves of my life! Moving back home to Cleveland, Ohio is in my future plans. I really miss home!




Thank you so much Karen! You are a amazing person! And by the way I am secertly a Cleveland fan as well! I love Lebron, but I gotta show my Pacers pride. ;)

13 comments:

Karen Terry, Artist/Designer said...

Thank you so much Erin! You did such a beautiful job. You are the greatest....Thanks for all that you do for us at UWIB and Pink Papaya!

Julie B said...

I enjoyed reading this feature so much! It was fun getting to know Karen better. Erin, this is a wonderful thing you are doing, thank you!

aka Miss Kim said...

I love that we will get to know our fellow UWIB members this way!! The feature is a wonderful idea Erin. You need to do one on yourself too!

Studio Marcy - Marcy Lamberson said...

What a wonderful interview. I loved reading about you Karen. Thank you Erin for doing this too.

Suzanne in TX said...

Great interview Erin--I loved reading about Karen and getting to know her a little more. This will be such a nice addition to this already wonderful blog!
Love it!!!

earthexpressions said...

Nice interview... It's wonderful to know a little more about Karen :) Thanks for all your support Erin...

Ellie-Jayne Designs said...

Congrats Karen! Great Feature Erin! This is a great idea to really get to know one another.

~Amy

Sara at Soap Rehab said...

Great feature! :)

Tip-Tops said...

UWIB rocks. :0)

Great first feature, Erin.

Tamara G said...

Great write-up, Erin! And Karen I am blown away by your cool designs and photos. Wonderful shop!

Anna Kay Creations said...

WOW! What a great feature, nice knowing you Karen.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

I am so pleased to get to know you Karen! I enjoy your spirit and your work!

Fresh Metal said...

The photos are gorgeous! Its great to get some insight about the artist behind the art!