Friday, May 22, 2009

Feature Friday!!!

I am so excited for another Feature Friday! Today I am featuring an amazing woman who is a fantastic knitter! Her work is flawsless, and just plain amazing! I would like to introduce you to the owner of TLK Knit N Sew !

Name ~
Tina Kudlick

General Location ~
VA/DC area

What is your shop name? ~
TLK Handknits or TLK Knit n Sew



Where does the name of your shop come from? ~
My initials to my name and the fact that I am also a Fashion Designer, I do sew and design clothing along with handknitting



How long have you been creating and what do you create? ~
I have been designing and sewing since I was a little girl. My mom taught me to sew and create. I also learned how to knit when I was younger and believe I inherited my knitting gene from my grandmother. I am told she was a fabulous knitter. I handknit and design various knittng clothing and accessories. I create my own patterns and use my vision to design my knitting line. Scarves, hats, cable scarf sets, wrist warmers, dresses, sweaters and so on are the creations I design and handknit. You can view my portfolio at www.viovio.com/tinateee and I sell my handknits at http://www.tlkknitnsew.com/.



Workspace-Tell us a little bit about your creating area~
My work area is a jammed sunroom in our apt. I have my yarn spread out all over the place right now because I am preparing for a craft show June 6,7 2009. I have my sewing machine, serger, small table, cork board for those designs or reminders and plenty of grid paper, lined paper around for those moments of ideas that pop in my head. I tend to use scrap paper to get what I need on paper so I won't forget what I just thought of. Lot's of file folders for the aministrative side to any DIY business.

Any advice for people thinking of starting their own handcrafted business? ~
Patience is a big factor when you are trying to start up your own DIY business. Depending on your crafting there are plenty of ways to keep your costs down. Networking and being on various free social sites will get you started for exposure. Don't over advertise on the social networking but have fun. I tend to go to concerts alot because I love music therefore I tend to meet fabulous people along the way. Being apart of your own network of interest helps build friendships. Love love what you do because the more you create the more you become excited on what you have created and builds your own interest in creating.

I have plenty of support from friends and family that keep me going. I love handknitting and when a creative idea comes to mind I put forth my ideals through handknitting. It's such a rewarding feeling to see the outcome of what I design that it allows me to continue on in my knitting endeavours.

Give us some fun facts about you~
I love meeting new people. Who wouldn't want to meet new people when I'm situated in this little sun room making fantastic knitting designs. It's about having fun when time permits along the way. It's important to balance your everyday life along with giving yourself time to relax.


I am so glad I had the chance to interview this amazing person! She is a long time member of Unique Women In Business, and I just love all of her beautiful creations! We love to hear from our readers so please make sure and leave some comments for us to read! I will leave you with another fabulous design from TIna!

7 comments:

FashionTouch.etsy.com said...

Great interview! As a "knitting insider" I admire Tina's work!!!

Elena
http://fashiontouch.etsy.com

Karen Terry, Artist/Designer said...

Tina, I am so glad to have learned more about you. I absolutely love your stylish knitting designs and your outstanding talents! Erin this is such a great idea! We sure ROCK at UWIB!

Tinateee said...

thank you gals so much for all the love, it means so much!
Rock on UWIB

Julie B said...

I enjoyed learning more about Tina, her work and process. Thank you Erin for doing these features every Friday! UWIB is a wonderful, supportive group!

Tamara G said...

What a great interview and insight into Tina's work! Love those fingerless gloves and the sunny yellow shawl especially. :)

Runako Designs by Dee said...

Wonderful Interview, I love the yellow scarf!

Sara at Soap Rehab said...

Beautiful pieces...I so admire those that can knit such lovelies!