Friday, May 29, 2009

Feature Friday!!!

That is right! Once again it is FRIDAY!!!!! Time to feature another fabulous member of Unique Women in Business! This week our Featured shop is Inky Illustrations! I hope you enjoy this interview and her fabulous Inky Illustrations!



Name~ Tamara Garvey

Age~ 29

General Location~ Savannah, Georgia

Shop Name~ Inky Illustrations http://www.tamaragarvey.etsy.com/

Where does the name of your shop come from?~
That is a good question. I guess it comes from a combination of my wanting a name that described what I make, with my love for alliteration!


How long have you been creating and what do you create?~
started doing abstract painting in my spare time a few years ago, on nights and weekends, but it was baaad. It wasn't until I moved from Washington, DC to Savannah to get an illustration degree that I really figured out the style and subject that I like to draw. Now I draw all the time! I draw, and I turn my work into prints, ACEOs, note card sets, and other fun papery things.

Workspace~ Tell us a little about where you create~
Well, I have taken over our second bedroom AND my fiancee's awesome MacBook! Haha. He has been really nice about this. I have a big green desk and a comfy office chair for when I do my sketching, drawing, scanning, and order assembling, but then usually when I just have computer stuff to do I hang out on the living room couch. I like background noise while I work, which is how my insane love for South Park evolved; I can have it on and not be tempted to look up from what I'm doing, because just listening to it is entertainment enough.


Any advice you would like to share with people wanting to start up a business?~
I am a big research nerd, so I would advise definitely using the Intenet to your advantage. You can find answers and options for ANYTHING you need to know, and there's a lot to take in, especially at the beginning! I get a little overwhelmed by the business and marketing part of it at times, so I have to remember that I can expand my business exactly at the pace I choose; I don't have to be in competition with anyone else. I think keeping that in the back of my mind helps keep it all manageable.


Any Fun Facts about you?~
Fun fact time! Okay. Well, I lived in London for almost a year when I was 22, which was unbelievably awesome. I can run and click my heels together like people do in old-fashioned musicals, but I can't really whistle or snap my fingers (sad!). I have cute small hands and feet but CANNOT stop biting my nails. I have become kind of a homebody as I've gotten older, but once somebody drags me out of the house I love a good night of dancing.

Thanks so much for the wonderful interview Tamara! Wishing you much success in all you do! THanks for being such a big part of Unique Women in Business!

13 comments:

Karen Terry, Artist/Designer said...

Great interview, Tamara! I love your artwork, especially "A Horse of a Different Color".

Julie B said...

I am loving these weekly features. It is so much fun finding out more about these remarkable business women!

J n J Designs said...

Fantasic Interview!! I love Feature Friday!! ☺

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

I enjoy your art. I too enjoy alliteration!

CinderLisa said...

Fun interview, and Tamara has some lovely things!

Crystal from KIZZ said...

Great interview! Appreciate Tamara's advice about moving your business at your own pace....Great advice!
Crystal from KIZZ

Meagan Designs Kaedan Krafts said...

Great interview!

tamara "inky!" garvey said...

Thanks so much everyone! I am excited for your upcoming feature interviews too. :)

Sara at Soap Rehab said...

Great interview!! Love hearing more about Tamara, such a fun artist :)

Runako Designs by Dee said...

beautiful work and what a great interview..thanks for sharing. My favorite is A Horse of a Different Color.

aka Miss Kim said...

Great interview, and Tamara your art is always wonderful!!!

FashionTouch.etsy.com said...

Tamara, I love you art so much!!!!

Elena
http://fashiontouch.etsy.com

Design Knit Fun said...

Great Interview - and we have something in common with South Park - never would have guessed - It is great background entertainment!!