Friday, June 19, 2009

Oh yeah! Another Feature Friday!

I just get so excited for Feature Friday! I love learning about members of unique women in business! I hope all of my readers enjoy feature Friday as much as we all do!
Meet Tracy of PolishedTwo on Etsy!


Name~ Tracy Owens Chasteen / polishedtwo
http://polishedtwo.etsy.com/

Age~ 37

General Location~ Austin, Texas - Live Music Capital of the World!

Shop Name~ polished two



Where does the name of your shop come from?~
My sister and I were working together to design jewelry for family, friends, and small trunk shows under the name Polished. When we decided to open up shops online at Etsy.com, she became PolishedOne and I was PolishedTwo because we live in different households and needed separte online stores.


How long have you been creating and what do you create?~
I have been creating and selling crafts ever since I can remember. I've always been into one craft or another, but I started making jewelry about 10 years ago. Even back in high school I was making and selling hair accessories and shirts decorated in puffy paints. Then I moved in to rubber stamping. After collecting thousands of decorative rubber stamps, I started a little catalog business. I had to give up my mail order business when I moved into the college dorms, but as soon as I settled in Austin after college, I got into jewelry-making. Now my jewelry-making obsession has taken over and it almost exclusively my creative outlet.


Workspace~Tell us a little about where you create~
My studio is a room in my condo that started out as a guest bedroom and office for both me and my husband, but my huge bead and jewelry supply collection sort of forced the hubs out. We furnished the room with a Murphy bed, two desks (one for each of us), and a whole wall of Elfa shelving for my beads. But once I started selling my creations online, I took over his desk as my packing and shipping station, slowly taking over the entire room. And within the next few weeks I plan to add in several more rows of shelving for my growing supply needs. The guest bedroom/office has gradually turned into a bead warehouse and one woman jewelry-making studio.


Any advice for people thinking of starting up a business?~
My number one piece of advice would be “Do what you love!” I say this because when you start your own business, you are going to work at it more hours than you ever imagined. But if you love it, you can put your time in and personally feel the rewards of doing something that makes you happy.


Any fun facts about yourself?~
My husband and I just purchased a cute 1969 Airstream trailer that we are restoring. We love to collect vintage items, including fun, kitchy decor and Eames-era furniture-- but the trailer is by far our biggest vintage purchase. We have a lot of work to do to it, but are already dreaming about taking it on our first Airstream adventure to the coast.
Thank you so much Tracy for answering the questions!!! I love your jewelry! Thank you also, for being such an active part of Unique Women in Business! I appreciate everything you do for all of us!

9 comments:

Sara at Soap Rehab said...

Great feature! I love Tracy's jewelry and enjoyed reading more about her. The Airstream adventure sounds like so much fun!!! :)

Suzanne in TX said...

I love Tracy's work and plan to add more to my collection. thanks for such a great introduction to Tracy's background.

aka Miss Kim said...

Love your jewelry Tracy.

So cool about the trailer!

Debbi Andersen said...

I always LOVE learning more about our lovely ladies and since I won so many items from tracy this was a pure joy to read!

polishedtwo.etsy.com said...

Aaaw, you guys are the best! *blushing* I love you all back!!

FashionTouch.etsy.com said...

I love this interview! And great pieces. Beside that Tracy is ver supportive member of our group!!! Wishing you a great trip!

Elena

EveryDay Flair said...

It's always great to hear about how other's got started making jewelry and to learn about what inspires them. I hope you get to do some traveling and share your jewelry with others along the way.

April said...

Very nice designs...they look so delicate and beautiful...beautiful blog.

Wedding Ring

Blogger said...

Did you know you can shorten your urls with Shortest and receive cash for every visitor to your shortened links.