Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Featured Artist-Ellie-Jayne Designs

Time for another featured Unique Women In Business member!!!! Please enjoy this wonderful interview with Amy from Ellie-Jayne Designs!

Name~ Amy F.

Age~ 32

General Location~ Southeastern Oregon

What is your shop name?~ Ellie-Jayne Designs http://www.elliejaynedesigns.etsy.com/
Where does the name of your shop come from?~ My daughters middle names combined, Madeline Elisabeth and Allison Jayne; which also happen to be the names of my favorite characters in Jane Austens book, Pride and Prejudiced, though spelled slightly differently.


How long have you been creating and what do you create?~ I have been making hairbows for a little over 2 years (started in May 2007) and have been sewing clothing for almost a year.



Workspace-tell us a little about your creating area~ I have to (or get to depending on how you look at it!) share my space with my girls. Our house has a small family room off the kitchen that we converted to a playroom when we first moved in. As my business has slowly grown I have moved from only needing a small space on the kitchen counter with my ribbon in a few plastic containers to using a card table in the corner of the living room stacked with a few more clear plastic containers to having a large table top and several shelves housing 14 plastic bins full of ribbon and several bolts of fabrics. My husband has been wonderful in helping me figure out how to maximize my workspace as this is as big as I can get before we need to add-on another room to the house!




Any advice for someone wanting to start up their own business?~ Don’t be discouraged if you don’t sell a ton of items right away. Sometimes its better to slowly build a client base. Allow some time for word-of-mouth to get around to people. And growing slowly allows you to keep up with inventory while still enjoying your new venture.


Fun facts about yourself~ Along with sewing and bow-making, I also enjoy gardening (we have a thriving vegetable garden with strawberries, carrots, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, acorn squash, corn and pumpkins) painting, ceramics (someday I hope to have my own kiln and throwing-wheel), musical theatre (my girls and I sing Broadway show-tunes everyday). I also have a bachelors of science in Recreation and Leisure Studies with an emphasis in Recreational Therapy. I was certified both nationally and for the state of California to work as a Recreational Therapist and I worked at Shriners Childrens Hospital in Sacramento with burn victims and orthopedic patients as well as Eskaton Village in Carmichael in the Alzheimers/Dementia Unit. Both work environments were exhausting but very fulfilling. I also worked for 2 years for the Anaheim Angels baseball team before becoming a stay at home mom when my first daughter was born.




4 comments:

Ellie-Jayne Designs said...

Thank you for featuring me! What a privilege! :-)

tamara! said...

What beautiful prints you use! I love that dress with the fruits -- the color scheme is great and it's so fun and delicate!

FashionTouch.etsy.com said...

Love your creations! Flower is my fav!!!


Elena
FashionTouch

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short links with Shortest and get dollars for every visitor to your shortened links.