Thursday, August 27, 2009

Feature Friday!!!!

Back on track with our fabulous Feature Friday! Please enjoy this great interview with Debbie Brown, a wonderful part of Unique Women In Business!!


Name~ Debbie Brown

Age~ 52

General Location~Kalamazoo Michigan which is my home town although I’ve also lived in Georgia, North Carolina and Florida.


What is your shop name?~ Pink Fink

Where does the name of your shop come from?~ A troll doll that was given to me in the 1960’s. The dolls hair was bright pink and stuck straight up on its head and the tag tied to its’ arm indentified it as ‘Pinkfink’, I’ve had the name ever since.


What do you create?~ I’d never heard of polymer clay until about 6 years ago when I while I was still working at State Farm Insurance. A coworker brought in some little animals she’d made and I just fell in love with them! I bought some clay that very day on my lunch hour and couldn’t wait to get home and play with it! I make figures, jewelry, magnets, buttons, warrior jewelry stands, napkin rings, knife rests and am constantly brainstorming new ideas.



Tell us a littl about your creating space~ I have a great studio downstairs with great lighting, big screen television, my clay, clay tools etc. all within arm’s reach and handy. however, I usually fill a basket with everything I need for a project and haul it upstairs where I’ll sit listening to the television show my husband is watching while I work on clay.


Any advice you want to give to anyone starting out? ~ My advice to anyone wanting to start their own business is to act on their desire. Write down on paper what it is you want to do, then start writing down the things you need to do to get there. Once it’s on paper take it one step at a time and don’t be afraid to ask others who are in business how they did it, you’ll find out they all had the same fears you have!




Any fun facts about yourself?~ Some fun facts about me are I never took drivers education. I stole the keys to our car and had a set of my own made and then just took the car one day and got my license! My dad co-signed for me to get married at 17 when my stepmom convinced him I wouldn’t be asking to get married unless I was pregnant because I was the daughter who always swore I’d never get married. Dad co-signed and the family waited for the news of a babies arrival, but our first child didn’t arrive until 13 months later!