Friday, January 8, 2010

Feature Friday - Featuring Aquarian Bath



Name: Cory Trusty

General Location: Daytona Beach, Florida

Shop Name: Aquarian Bath

What do you create? I create all natural soaps and herbal products. This means that they are scented with essential oils rather than chemical fragrances, and they are colored with herbs or clays rather than lab created dyes. All my soaps are also palm oil free, which is important for preventing the destruction of endangered rain forests and orangutan habitat. A few items I make that you might not find in the typical soap shop include lavender flax neck wraps, my specialty Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon balm (my version of tiger balm), and shampoo bars for various hair types. I also make custom massage oils upon request.




What inspired your shop name? It was important to me that the name conveyed an association with water. Aquarian is in reference to Aquarius, the water bearer constellation.

How long have you been creating and how did you get started? I have been making herbal infused oils for about seven years. I originally started the herbal oils and salves as an extension of my training in Chinese herbal medicine, which was in a Master's program in Seattle. The soaps were a natural next step. I like to include specialty oils or herbs such as neem seed oil or home grown Aloe gel in some of my soaps or shampoo bars.

Tell us about your work space: I have an office in my house instead of a dining room. : ) Right now we are looking at bigger houses were we can have both. In my office I have shelves with soaps curing, and bins neatly sealed and stacked with finished herbal products. I also have a really neat Black Ikea China cabinet that is filled with herbs, clays, waxes and extracts. There is also my computer, which is actually the server for AquarianBath.com, my printer and packing & shipping area where I quickly print labels and wrap up domestic orders for next day shipment.





Any advice for those thinking about starting their own business? I would suggest thinking long and hard about your business name and logo before getting started. For example, an added benefit for the name I choose for my business is that it starts with an "A" and therefore ends up at the top of alphabetized lists. My friend Aaron has taken advantage of this point in keeping his first name at the beginning of his business name. Once you have your business name, buy the domain name right away even if you are not immediately ready to set up a website.

Fun facts about yourself: I'm pregnant and expecting my second child in the middle of May, a sister for my almost six year old daughter. Some of my hobbies include organic gardening, wild harvesting herbs, and looking after my chickens. I also like to collect crystals, read historical fiction and sci fi/fantasy books, and make jewelry.



Visit her on Etsy now!

5 comments:

Julie B said...

What an interesting interview! I always love reading about business owners who are making products with natural and environmentally friendly ingredients.

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

great interview!

Design Knit Fun said...

great info and fun way to get to know new things about the women behind the stores and products :-)

SewDanish-Scandinavian Textile Art, Unique Handmade Supplies said...

I really enjoyed reading this interview. Herbs and its properties are fascinating. Good luck for the future :-)
Birgitte

Clear Lake Creations said...

Wonderful interview! I love handmade soaps. I am going to have to try yours.