Sunday, October 24, 2010

Name: Tamara Garvey

General Location: Brooklyn, NY

Business Name: Tamara Garvey Illustration



What do you create/sell? I draw whimsical and nature-based pen-and-ink illustrations. My shop has lots of fun things - original art, prints, fabric, note card sets, lockets, and ACEOs.

What inspired your shop name? I don't think this question really applies to me! :)

How long have you been creating and how did you get started? I got a degree in Illustration from SCAD in 2008 and opened my Etsy shop that fall. But before I went to school and actually learned how to draw, in my spare time I painted VERY BAD abstract paintings using store-bought canvases. So I've been into art for quite a few years now - with varying degrees of proficiency!



Any advice for those thinking about starting their own business? "You've got to LOVE what you make/do, because you will be working on your business SO MUCH. So much. And you'll be doing lots of research - on licenses, supplies, shipping, legalities, craft shows, shops to wholesale to, marketing, branding...on and on. Not to be all scary, but it's a lot of work.

Personally I love working on my Etsy shop and am anxiously awaiting the day that I can do this full-time!"

Fun facts about yourself: I have an awesome dog. I love ink, animals, corduroy pants, Edward Gorey, lattes with skim milk, pen nibs, South Park, air-conditioning, England, the movie "Auntie Mame," and reading.

3 comments:

Linda B said...

This is a great interview. Thanks for sharing.

tamara! said...

aw, thanks so much for this profile! seeing this made my sunday. :)

Kirsten said...

I love Tamara's work...her illustrations are creative, whimsical and insightful.